In September, the family of Tyler Chase received devastating news that he had died from a drug overdose. However, three months later, they were informed that the body was actually that of someone else. This led to a shocking discovery – Tyler’s body had been cremated without being properly identified.
The situation came to light when Tyler tried to use his food stamps at a department store and realized his credit card was no longer active. He desperately sought employment and went to authorities for help, only to be told that a death certificate had been filed in his name. Tyler contacted the Portland Police who investigated the matter at the rehab center where he was staying. Ultimately, it was discovered that a man living at the rehab center had died from an overdose and was mistakenly identified as Tyler. His family was notified of his death and the body was cremated without proper identification.
Tyler’s cousin, Tasha Rosales, initially thought it was a hoax when she received news of her cousin’s supposed death. The entire ordeal led her to raise over $1,000 for Tyler’s cremation. After everything, Tyler eventually found work in Portland helping the homeless, noting how easily he could have met the same fate as the man who was mistakenly identified as him. The Multnomah County spokesperson expressed deep regret for the misidentification and new procedures were put in place to prevent such errors from happening again.